The best practices for keeping your teeth and gums healthy are all about avoiding the things that can damage them. It’s not always easy to keep up with what you’re eating, but if you follow these steps, it will be easier than ever.
Here at North Pointe Dental Associates, home to some of the best dentists in Tampa, we specialize both in general and cosmetic dentistry – from treating toothache to teeth whitening and Invisalign. Today, we are sharing seven easy tips on how to keep healthy teeth and gum, so let’s dive right in.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day! Brushing removes plaque, bacteria, and food debris from the surfaces of your teeth.
- Floss daily! Flossing removes bacteria from in-between the spaces in your teeth where brushing can’t get to (the crevices). You should floss before bedtime because this is when the most bacterial growth occurs during sleep time due to reduced saliva flow which slows down bacterial growth.
– Use dental tape or floss threaders if these are easier for you to use than regular floss. If not, just pull the end of your strand through each space and wrap it around a tooth in order so that there is enough length coming off the spool to wind back on before taking another bite at the apple!
– Be sure to use a gentle sawing motion and go up and down against the sides of each tooth.
– Don’t forget to floss your back teeth by using a mirror to see if you missed any spots.
- Keep your toothbrush clean by rinsing it with hot water after each use. You should also replace your toothbrush every three months since the bristles lose their effectiveness over time and may harbor germs that can lead to disease or decay. Alternatively, you could purchase a new electric brush that cleans teeth for you.
- Drink lots of water! This helps to keep your mouth and teeth moist, which reduces the risk of developing an infection. It also clears plaque from tooth surfaces more efficiently than brushing alone. Drinking fluids before bedtime will reduce dry mouth during sleep time (which is a major cause of bad breath).
- Eat a healthy diet that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables. These foods are packed with vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients essential for keeping your teeth and gums healthy. In particular, eat crunchy fruits and vegetables (like apples, carrots, or celery) which help to clean teeth as you chew them.
- If you can, try to avoid:
– Acidic foods and drinks like soda, citrus fruits, and juices, sports drinks
– Sugary foods and snacks like candy, cake, cookies
– Starchy foods like bread, pasta, and potatoes
– Tobacco products of any kind
– Alcohol in excess amounts. Moderation is key!
If you can’t avoid these things altogether, just try to do so in moderation. And be sure to brush and floss right after eating or drinking them! Chewing sugarless gum after eating also helps to remove food debris and plaque from your teeth.
- See your dentist at least twice a year for a professional cleaning and exam. If you have any questions or concerns about your teeth and gums – especially if you notice a change in the color of your gums (they become pale or white), sensitivity to hot/cold, swelling on one side of your face near an upper molar tooth area (where wisdom teeth are located) – be sure to see your dentist as soon as possible for an evaluation.
Early detection and treatment of any dental problems is key to preventing more serious issues from developing in the future!
There you have it – seven easy tips for keeping your teeth and gums healthy and free of disease! Follow these guidelines and you’ll be on your way to maintaining healthy teeth and gums – which is essential for having a beautiful smile!
These are just a few of the best practices for keeping your teeth and gums healthy. For more information, schedule your appointment and have some of the best dentists North Tampa can offer give you personalized advice based on your individual oral health