Here at North Pointe Dental Associates, home to some of the best dentists in Tampa, we pay particular attention to our little patients, and we’ve learned a trick or two along the way. In this blog post, we will discuss our favorite tricks to help kids enjoy their dental appointment. With a little preparation, you can make the experience less scary for your child!
Dental appointments are never anyone’s favorite, but they can be especially stressful for children. The dentist’s office is a new and unfamiliar place, full of strange noises and instruments.
Why are kids afraid of dentists?
There are a few reasons why dental appointments can be scary for children. First of all, the dentist’s office is usually a new place for them. It’s full of strange noises and instruments that they don’t understand. Secondly, they may have seen someone else get scared or hurt at the dentist before. Finally, they may have heard stories from friends or family members about their own bad experiences at the dentist.
So how do we make the dental appointment less daunting for your child?
What do dentists do to make kids at ease during a dental appointment?
There are a few things that dentists do in order to make kids at ease during a dental appointment. One thing is called “tell-show-do.” This is where the dentist explains what they’re going to do, then shows the child what they’re going to do, and then does it. This helps the child feel more comfortable because they know what’s going to happen.
Another thing that some dentists do is use a puppet or stuffed animal. They will talk to the child through the puppet, which can help take away some of the fear associated with seeing the dentist.
Some dentists also offer nitrous oxide (laughing gas) for kids who are particularly anxious about their appointment. The gas helps relax the child and makes the appointment go more smoothly.
What can parents do to make kids enjoy their next checkup?
Now that you know what tricks dentists use to calm down children during their checkups, let’s discuss what you can do. Here are some tips to make the dental appointment more fun for kids:
– Use a timer: Let your child know that the appointment will only last for a certain amount of time. This will help them feel in control and not as anxious about being in the dentist’s chair.
– Bring a stuffed animal: A stuffed animal can be a great comfort during a dental appointment. It can provide a distraction from unfamiliar surroundings and help your child feel more relaxed.
– Choose a fun toothbrush: There are all sorts of different toothbrushes available nowadays, from ones that light up to those that play music. Help your child pick out their favorite so that they’re excited to use it at home.
– Explain what will happen: Before the appointment, sit down with your child and explain what will happen. This way, they won’t be caught off guard by anything during the visit.
– Use positive language: When talking about the dental appointment, use positive language. For example, instead of saying “you have to get a filling,” say “the dentist is going to help make your tooth stronger.”
– Make it a game: During the appointment, turn it into a game! See how long your child can sit still or count how many times the drill goes around their tooth.
– Reward them afterward: After the dental appointment is over, be sure to give your child a big hug and maybe even a small treat. This will help them associate the dentist with something positive.
With these tips, you can help make your child’s next dental appointment a less stressful experience. Do you have any other suggestions? Let us know in the comments below!
Schedule your next appointment today!
We hope you found this blog post helpful. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out to us. We are always happy to help! And if it’s your or your kid’s time for your regular checkup, give us a call and schedule your appointment today!